Braving the Cold? Here Are Driving Tips for the Winter SeasonDecember 21, 2022
If you are hitting the roads this winter, it is important to be prepared for the hazardous weather. Here are a few driving tips to help keep you safe while on the road:
- Make sure your car is properly winterized ideally before the season begins. This includes checking your tires, anti-freeze levels, and windshield washer fluid.
- Stay aware of the weather conditions and plan your drive accordingly. If there is a chance of inclement weather, be prepared for slippery roads and limited visibility.
- Drive slowly and carefully, especially on icy or snow-covered roads. Accelerate and brake slowly, and use caution when turning.
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and the cars in front of you, especially on slippery roads. This will give you time to stop if necessary.
- If you get stuck in snow or ice, do not panic. Call for help if you need assistance.
- Make sure your cellphone is fully charged in case of emergency.
- Have a winter survival kit in your car in case of an emergency. This should include blankets, a flashlight, food and water, and a first-aid kit.
- Be aware of black ice; this is a thin layer of ice that can be difficult to see on the road. When driving on black ice, take extra care to slow down and use caution when turning or braking.
- Watch out for pedestrians and cyclists who may be braving the cold weather outdoors. Give them plenty of space when passing them on the road.
- Follow all traffic laws, and wear your seat belt at all times while driving, even if you are just traveling a short distance.
- Take frequent breaks during long trips so that you can stay alert behind the wheel. Get up and stretch your legs every few hours, and make sure to drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- If possible, avoid driving during rush hour; this will help reduce traffic congestion and allow you to reach your destination more quickly and safely.
- Know your alternate route. Even if you have made this trip a hundred times before, you may encounter poor weather or extreme congestion which requires you to take a new route. Knowing your alternate options before you leave can help ensure you stay calm and know how to adjust your route.
Media Car Accident Lawyer at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello Advocates for Safe Driving This Winter Season
Winter weather can be hazardous, but you can take steps to keep yourself safe on the road during the season. However, even if you do everything right, you cannot control other drivers who may not be so attentive. If you find yourself in a car accident this winter, you may be able to hold the negligent driver liable for your accident and injuries. To find out your legal options, speak with our experienced Media car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello. Call us at 610-892-4940 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Media, Pennsylvania, we serve clients in Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Lancaster, Montgomery County, Norristown, Philadelphia, Reading, and West Chester.