How can I Dispute My Denied Car Insurance Claim?

Suffering the unfortunate event of a car accident normally leads to property damage and medical bills. To help pay for repairs and treatment, much of the population depends on a car insurance company to cover these unexpected expenses. The dependency on compensation is even more important, especially if an injury was severe, the vehicle damage was exceedingly expensive, or the victim lost time at work to recover. However, what options does the victim have if the insurance company denies their claim?

Although a car insurance claim denial is rare, it certainly does happen, leaving the victim frustrated and searching for answers. If this occurs, the victim will receive a claim denial letter from the insurance company, which details the reason for the denial. First and foremost, knowing the reason for denial is vital to understanding whether their decision was appropriate or not. It also helps the victim understand that the insurance company’s decision is not final and can be challenged.

Why was the Claim Denied?

There are several reasons why an insurance company denies a claim, all of which should be understood first and foremost by the victim before filing a dispute:

  • Coverage was Not Applicable: Each insurance company has different coverage plans, and a claim may be denied if the insured does not have the appropriate coverage in their plan. For example, a car accident will not be covered if the driver lacks collision coverage.
  • Damage Exceeded Policy: Each insurance coverage plan has a limit, and if the damage received exceeds that limit, then a claim may be denied.
  • Did Not Qualify: Not qualifying for coverage may mean several things, including not being named in the policy or lapse of coverage, where the insured missed a payment, or if the insured is driving a new car and did not report it to their insurance company.
  • Incorrect Application for Insurance: An insurance agent may discover discrepancies in a client’s previous application for coverage, and the insurance company, now presented with a claim, denies coverage because of those inaccuracies.
  • Driving Illegally: If an insured driver is found to have been driving under the influence or driving on a suspended license, then an insurance company may deny the claim.

How can I Dispute the Denial?

It is very possible that an error occurred, or an insurance adjuster made a mistake. Certain steps must be followed in order to dispute an insurance company’s denial of coverage, including:

  • Research: To file a dispute, one must understand their own policy first. After being informed of the reason for the denial, a thorough lookover of the policy must be made to see where the issue lies. This may also include requesting more coverage for a claim. In this case, all medical records must be saved, as well as medical bills to help with the dispute.
  • Contact the Insurance Company: This involves sending the insurance company a claims appeal letter. This letter will also explain why there should be no denial of coverage.
  • Hire a Lawyer: It cannot be stressed how important a car accident lawyer can be in this situation. Lawyers can help submit the claims appeal letter, negotiate the victim’s terms, and handle other matters concerning the dispute. They also pinpoint the discrepancies in the claim and advise the victim of the best course of action, whether accepting the insurance company’s settlement offer or pursing further legal action.

Media Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello Seek Compensation for Those Injured by Negligence

If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident or is having trouble being compensated by your insurance company following an accident, then contact the Media car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello immediately. We will defend your rights and obtain the compensation you rightfully deserve. Call us today at 610-892-4940 or fill out our online form for a free consultation. Located in Media, Pennsylvania, we proudly serve the communities of Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Lancaster, Montgomery County, Norristown, Philadelphia, Reading, and West Chester, Pennsylvania.