What are the Dangers of Aggressive Driving?November 24, 2020
Aggressive driving accidents are common in the United States and often lead to serious injuries and even fatalities. This type of driving is normally done deliberately and with disregard for safety. It is defined as an individual who commits a combination of moving traffic offenses to endanger other persons or property. Examples of aggressive driving include:
- Cutting in front of another driver and then slowing down
- Running red lights
- Failing to yield
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Refusing to signal when changing lanes
- Blocking other cars from passing or changing lanes
Aggressive driving can also lead to road rage, which involves cursing at other drivers, throwing objects, sideswiping, or forcing drivers off of the road. Road rage and aggressive driving are two different things, but they can both lead to serious accidents and fatalities.
How to Prevent an Aggressive Driving Accident
Accidents happen, but there are steps one can take to lessen the likelihood of a car crash. Here are some safety tips on how to avoid aggressive drivers and car accidents:
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Use turn signals.
- Allow others to merge.
- Tap the horn if it is necessary, but do not do long blasts.
- Use high beams responsibly.
- Be considerate in parking lots by only taking up one spot, and be careful to not hit any cars.
What Should I Do if I Encounter an Aggressive Driver?
Meeting an aggressive driver can be a scary situation, especially if their road rage is severe. One might not have done anything wrong to get the other driver upset.
Here are a few ways one can help keep safe if they encounter an aggressive driver on the road:
- Remain calm.
- Try and get out of the driver’s way, and do not attempt to escalate the situation.
- Do not challenge the driver by speeding up or slowing down.
- Always wear a seat belt in case of an accident.
- Do not make eye contact with the aggressive driver.
- Try to ignore them as best as possible.
- Report aggressive drivers to the authorities.
Car Accidents Caused by Negligence
Negligent drivers commonly cause car accidents. A negligent driver is someone who behaves in a thoughtless or careless manner, which has caused harm to another motorist or their vehicle.
Aggressive driving is also considered negligent driving due to its dangerous and careless nature. If a person is involved in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent actions, it is in their best interest to hire a lawyer to handle their personal injury case. Proving negligence can be challenging, and it may require an experienced lawyer.
Delaware County Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello Help Clients Who Have Been Injured by Aggressive Drivers
If you were recently involved in an accident that was caused by the aggression of another driver, contact one of our knowledgeable Delaware County car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello for help. Our experienced lawyers work with injured car accident victims and ensure their rights are protected. Contact us online or call us at 610-892-4940 for a free consultation today. Located in Media, Pennsylvania, we serve clients throughout Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Lancaster, Montgomery County, Norristown, Philadelphia, Reading, and West Chester.