What Do I Need to Know About Filing a Police Report After My Accident?

West Chester car accident lawyers advise clients on filing a police report. Car accidents happen every day to millions of drivers. In the United States alone, there is an average of six million car accidents each year. If you or someone you know was involved in an accident, you may have questions about filing a police report. Police reports help departments track car accidents. Police reports usually contain information that includes:

  • The driver’s information, including their home address
  • The time and location
  • An estimate of damages
  • A narrative of what happened
  • Medical information as to whether anyone was hurt
  • Photos and/or videos of the scene
  • Weather conditions when the accident took place

Keep in mind that police departments may have varying police report templates depending on where they are located. Police reports are necessary in filing a claim with your insurance company. Police reports are also used to gather information about intersections that may be dangerous, and as a way of keeping the public informed.

When are Police Reports Filed?

Officers can take down a police report at the scene of the accident. Once they secure the scene and make sure no one is severely injured, they will address the accident and check the damage to figure out how the accident occurred. Officers will also talk to all drivers and witnesses.

Officers will typically record most of the information on the police report while still on the scene. However, it takes a few days for an officer to officially file the report. After the report is filed, you can go to the police department to pick up a copy. You will need it if you are planning to file a claim with your insurance company.

What If I Want to File a Report Later?

If you choose to file a report later, there are ways to do this. However, if you intentionally leave the scene of an accident where another driver was involved, you can be criminally charged. To file a police report later, you may call the non-emergency number for your local dispatch department. After telling the dispatcher what happened and informing them that you are no longer at the accident scene, the dispatcher will contact an officer in your area. You will either need to meet them at the scene of the accident or meet them at their department.

West Chester Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello Represent Victims Injured in All Types of Car Accidents

If you or someone you know was injured in a car accident, contact a West Chester car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Deborah M. Truscello. Our experienced lawyers will fight tirelessly for your rights and will obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 610-892-4940. Located in Media, Pennsylvania, we proudly serve clients throughout Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Lancaster, Montgomery County, Norristown, Philadelphia, Reading, and West Chester.